Welcome to a Supportive and Caring International Community
The decision to come to New Zealand to pursue your education is a major one.
In choosing Nelson College for Girls to do that we commit to providing you with supportive staff, a caring, positive environment, English language assistance and a place where your goals will be realised.
Enrolment & Administration
June Laird helps with enrolment, collects fees, and assists with travel and visa arrangements.
Helen Osmaston arranges Homestay accommodation for students including short term accommodation for boarders during school holidays.
Special English Courses
- Intensive English course for beginners as part of full-time schooling.
- Ongoing English language teaching for international students.
Medical and Travel Insurance
International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand unless they are:
- A resident or citizen of Australia; or
- A national of the United Kingdom in New Zealand; or
The holder of a temporary permit that is valid for two years or more.
If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health.
We also strongly recommend that you obtain insurance to cover your travel to and from New Zealand. We can assist you obtaining Medical and Travel Insurance.
Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements, are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.immigration.govt.nz
The Boarding Staff help you to settle in to the boarding environment:
Barbara Symons, Boarding Manager
Susan Friedlander, Deputy Boarding Manager
Helen Hoby, Nurse
Counsellors help with health issues or personal problems you want to discuss.
We speak your language
|Chinese: Ji Fang Black||
Korean: Jeongmi Hong
Thai: Naruman Glumagai
|Japanese: Sawa Moore|
Other Support provided
- You will be met at Nelson airport on your arrival in Nelson.
- An orientation programme on your arrival introduces you to life at school and you can meet other international students.
- Special English language courses and tutoring will help you improve your English.
- Weekly meetings are held to assist students with their academic needs.
- Senior students are available to help you with study and to provide friendly support.
- Subject support by ESOL teachers.
- A NISA (Nelson International Students Association) dance is held annually and all International students are invited to a night of fun, socialising and the usual nibbles.
- Please let us know if you have any special requirements.
Contact Telephone Numbers
|International Director||Non-urgent enquiries during school holidays||+64 (0)21 484 552|
|Emergency||Strictly emergencies only||+64 (0)27 928 3320|
The International Department Team
Our School Principal, International Staff, Students, Teachers and Parents all make up our International Community.
Here are some of the people you are most likely to come in contact with: