The Preparatory School has use of the College facilities which are set in attractive grounds.
Students are taught in well-resourced classrooms and enjoy excellent specialist facilities, such as the gymnasium, library/resource centre, computer suites, music suites, art and technology suites.
NZ Curriculum learning areas
The Ārahi teacher in each class at the Preparatory School teaches the following curriculum:
Reading, Writing (including Word Study, Spelling), Oral and Visual Language.
Number, Geometry, Algebra, Measurement and Statistics.
Curriculum requirements at levels 3/4 in a variety of topics covering NZ Curriculum requirements.
Including Mindsets/resiliency learning, DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), Keeping Ourselves Safe/Kia Kaha alongside NZ Police Educators and Life Education.
Use of the College gymnasium and sports facilities to ensure a wide range of physical skills are taught.
Education Outside the Classroom
Overnight/day trips which utilise the diverse environmental opportunities in the Nelson region.
Specialist Teachers in the College teach the following subjects:
Science: Extension of students’ knowledge of general science. College laboratory facilities are utilised.
Technology – Hard Materials, Foods, Materials Textiles, Design & Visual Communication: Students develop practical skills and apply these in a variety of problem solving contexts. An introductory course into Design & Visual Communication. Classes are held in College Technology Suites.
The Arts - Visual Art, Drama & Music: Aims to develop students’ skills using a range of techniques and media. College Art and drama studios are utilised. Covering instrumental, choral, composition and preparation for performance recitals.
Languages: Year 7/8 – Maori, Japanese, French
Digital Technology: An introduction to Coding.
- Maths/Science Badge Scheme
- Speech and debating competitions
- Merit Awards – rewarding work ethic and positive attitude
- Incentive Award Scheme – rewarding participation, leadership, achievement
- International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) English, Mathematics, Science, Writing, Spelling, Digital Technologies
- Otago Problem Solving Challenge (Mathematics) – all students participate
- Kids Literature Quiz
- Nelsomathix – Maths Problem Solving Team Challenge
- Science Fair (Biennial College based)
- General Knowledge Quiz – College based